Reaching Out to Youth in Our Community
- We know - that reading boosts kids' school performance in all subject areas.
- We know - that hearing stories sparks little ones' learning and love of language.
- And we know - that libraries have lots of books for kids to read and hear.
- But - parents work. Weekends are busy. So - there's "a disconnect" between children and books.
Would you like to bring books to your youth group?
Timberland Regional Library's Connect! Children and Books program wants to make it easy for you to share books with the children you serve. Timberland lends boxes of children or teen books to locations such as apartment complexes, health care agencies, community centers and after-school programs.
*As of December 1st, 2016 an institutional library card is required to reserve Connect Boxes. If you do not have an institutional library card, you can fill out an application here and return it to any TRL library.
Each box contains an assortment of between 50-70 children's stories and informational paperbacks chosen to appeal to children and teens. The program is designed to serve 4 broad age ranges and a multicultural population:
- Pre-Readers - Children from Birth through Kindergarten (Ages 0-6)
- Beginning Readers – Children from Kindergarten through Grade 3 (Ages 6-8)
- Middle Readers – Children from Grade 3 through Grade 6 (Ages 8-13)
- Teen Readers –Teens from Grade 7 through High School (Ages 13-18)
- Bilingual Pre-Readers/Beginning Readers - with books in English and Spanish
Pick-up is easy - when you receive a call that your box of books is ready, you may stop by your Timberland Library to pick it up!
Connect Boxes are checked out for 8 weeks and can be returned to any TRL library.
To request a Connect box, telephone your local library or fill out an online form.
For more information, contact:
Youth Services at YouthRequests@trl.org